Friday, February 10, 2006

The Blizzard of 2006

As the week has progressed, it has become clear that a classic blizzard is currently forming and preparing to dump huge snow, heavy winds and white out conditions across the I95 corridor from Washington DC to Boston. Man am I jealous. Blizzards are probably one of the most amazing weather events one can experience. Watching a city completely shut down as the snow builds in really shows you how quickly the weather can change things. The largest blizzard I have ever rode out was the epic Spring Break Blizzard of 1993. That is the only time I have ever experienced Thunder Snow. Our college town of Harrisonburg, Va was shut down for days. It was great. A cold rain is forecast here in central North Carolina, which is very depressing. I do have a good friend in NYC who will hopefully be able to capture some images for me of the blizzard impacting the city. I only wish I could be up there to ride it out with him. I guess I'll warm up the coffee and watch this play out on TV. This could be a big one.

SCM

No comments: